Monday, August 16, 2010

Hot Fun in the Summertime

Edward Runci

Can you believe how freakin' hot this summer has been? As much fun as I've had in my pool and on the beach, I'm really looking forward to some cooler weather which may be a while for us.

Beren and I took Loki on a 30-minute walk yesterday morning, by the time we got home all of our tongues were hanging out! Loki and I did the same thing this morning before sunrise, much more pleasant at that time of the day.


Since summer fruit is still in abundance, might as well take advantage of it!

Here's a delicious recipe from Clean Eating Magazine:




Coconut Chicken with Pineapple-Strawberry Salsa

-------- ------------ --------------------------------
1/4 cup light coconut milk
1/3 cup light coconut milk -- divided
4 scallions -- white & green parts separated & thinly sliced, divided
1/4 teaspoon sea salt
1/4 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
1 pound boneless skinless chicken breasts
2 cups fresh pineapple -- peeled, cored and diced
8 ounces strawberries -- cut into pieces
5 ounces mixed greens

In a large bowl, combine 1/4 cup coconut milk with white parts of scallions, salt and pepper. Add chicken and let marinate at room temperature, uncovered, for 30 minutes (or cover and refrigerate overnight).

In another large bowl, combine remaining 1/3 cup coconut milk with green parts of scallions. Stir in pineapple and strawberries. Set aside or, if not serving immediately, cover and refrigerate until ready to use. (This mixture can be made 1 day ahead).

Heat a grill pan over medium-high heat. When pan is very hot, add chicken and grill for 5 to 7 minutes per side, until cooked through or a thermometer registers 165°F when inserted into the thickest part of the breast.

Divide chicken and greens evenly among 4 plates. Top each serving with a quarter of Pineapple-Strawberry Salsa and serve.

Description:
"Try the warm-weather flavors of coconut, pineapple and strawberry over marinated grilled chicken for a seemingly endless summer."
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Serves 4. Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 213 Calories; 4g Fat (15.5% calories from fat); 28g Protein; 18g Carbohydrate; 4g Dietary Fiber; 66mg Cholesterol; 213mg Sodium.

NOTES : Serving size= 4 oz chicken, 1/2 cup fruit salsa, 1-3/4 oz mixed greens

Have a Beauty-Full Day,

6 comments:

  1. and I will be singing that all day too :)


    Miz.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, the heat does make exercise uncomfortable at best. The sun is scorching on this side of the pond and I still have my run todo! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. It has been so dang HOT! I agree! Tnank you so very much for your comment on my blog.
    That recipe looks so "summery" !
    Have a pretty day!~
    Kristin

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love coconut, I gotta get it in more recipes, I really do.

    You do realize when I come to your blog I don't actually read for the first 5-10 seconds right? It takes me that long to look past the pin up of the day you share before my mind recalls why it came here. Or is that why I visit, hhmmm...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mark, hope you had a great run!

    Patrick, lol, whatever keeps you coming back for visits! ;)

    ReplyDelete