Loki and I went for our morning walk again today, 4 days in a row. While that doesn't sound like much, it's starting to become a habit which is a very good thing!
I'm eating mostly clean, still fighting some night time cravings for munchies but doing my best to avoid that nasty white stuff!
I'm going to try a new recipe tonight using Quinoa, an ingredient I've never cooked with before. Anyone out there experienced with the stuff? What can I expect?
Cumin Quinoa with Chickpeas & Scallions
Quinoa is one of the most versatile superstar grains on the market. Fun to work with and easier with experience, quinoa is the Marlon Brando of food staples.
By Aida Mollenkamp
Serves 4 to 6
* 2 cups quinoa
* 1 tbsp olive oil
* 3/4 tsp ground cumin
* 1 medium shallot, halved lengthwise and thinly sliced crosswise
* 2 tsp kosher salt, plus additional for seasoning, divided
* 3 cups low-sodium chicken broth
* 2 cups cooked chickpeas
* 6 medium scallions, thinly sliced crosswise
* 2 tsp freshly squeezed lemon juice
* 1 tsp lemon zest
* Fresh-ground black pepper, to taste
1. Rinse quinoa and drain. Heat oil in a medium pot over medium heat. When it shimmers, add cumin and cook until fragrant. Add shallots, season to taste with additional salt and cook until just soft. Add quinoa and stir frequently until moisture evaporates and it makes a popping noise, about 5 minutes.
2. Add broth and 2 tsp salt, stir briefly and return to a boil. Cover, reduce heat to low, and simmer until quinoa absorbs liquid and grains are tender, about 15 minutes.
3. Stir in remaining ingredients until well combined, season well with salt and pepper to taste, and serve.
NUTRIENTS PER 1 1/4 CUP SERVING:
* Calories: 320
* Total Fat: 8 g
* Sat. Fat: 1 g
* Carbs: 50 g
* Fiber: 7 g
* Sugars: 3 g
* Protein: 15 g
* Sodium: 910 mg
* Cholesterol: 0 mg
Off to work, hope you all have a Beauty-Full Day!
30 minute neighborhood walk - Appx 132 calories burned