Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Cleaning Up

Al Leslie


Loki and I went for our morning walk again today, 4 days in a row. While that doesn't sound like much, it's starting to become a habit which is a very good thing!

I'm eating mostly clean, still fighting some night time cravings for munchies but doing my best to avoid that nasty white stuff!

I'm going to try a new recipe tonight using Quinoa, an ingredient I've never cooked with before. Anyone out there experienced with the stuff? What can I expect?

Cumin Quinoa with Chickpeas & Scallions

Quinoa is one of the most versatile superstar grains on the market. Fun to work with and easier with experience, quinoa is the Marlon Brando of food staples.

By Aida Mollenkamp
Serves 4 to 6


INGREDIENTS:

* 2 cups quinoa
* 1 tbsp olive oil
* 3/4 tsp ground cumin
* 1 medium shallot, halved lengthwise and thinly sliced crosswise
* 2 tsp kosher salt, plus additional for seasoning, divided
* 3 cups low-sodium chicken broth
* 2 cups cooked chickpeas
* 6 medium scallions, thinly sliced crosswise
* 2 tsp freshly squeezed lemon juice
* 1 tsp lemon zest
* Fresh-ground black pepper, to taste

INSTRUCTIONS:

1. Rinse quinoa and drain. Heat oil in a medium pot over medium heat. When it shimmers, add cumin and cook until fragrant. Add shallots, season to taste with additional salt and cook until just soft. Add quinoa and stir frequently until moisture evaporates and it makes a popping noise, about 5 minutes.

2. Add broth and 2 tsp salt, stir briefly and return to a boil. Cover, reduce heat to low, and simmer until quinoa absorbs liquid and grains are tender, about 15 minutes.

3. Stir in remaining ingredients until well combined, season well with salt and pepper to taste, and serve.


NUTRIENTS PER 1 1/4 CUP SERVING:

* Calories: 320
* Total Fat: 8 g
* Sat. Fat: 1 g
* Carbs: 50 g
* Fiber: 7 g
* Sugars: 3 g
* Protein: 15 g
* Sodium: 910 mg
* Cholesterol: 0 mg


Off to work, hope you all have a Beauty-Full Day!


30 minute neighborhood walk - Appx 132 calories burned

11 comments:

  1. Well 4 days in a row sounds like a good deal to me, bravo!

    I recently discovered quinoa and have used it two or three times. Funny little seed or grain is it... by itself it is not a flavor that gets you wanting but it takes on the flavors it is prepared with quite well. I made a lemon quinoa and a strawberry quinoa dish. I am a chickpea fan so perhaps my next go at quinoa will be Cumin Quinoa with Chickpeas & Scallions.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My mom makes quinoa with mushrooms. It's sooo yummy. And so good for you. I'll have to try this recipe. I love me some chickpeas.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's great that you're building daily exercise into your routine. Not only are you more active, I bet Loki appreciates it too :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I cooked with quinoa last night! I really enjoy it. It's filling, has a nice texture, but isn't heavy.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am going to try the quinoa...
    I love the routine - I am guessing the thinking time has been beneficial as well!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think you are doing wonderful!! Pretty soon your body will start to crave the exercise and the good for you foods.

    Oh yeah, and I have cooked and eaten quinoa before and love it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've got a boatload of quinoa at home and looking for some new recipes. I'll try this one. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've never had or cooked with quinoa but I've heard nothing but good things about it! Yummers!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Christine, so far I'm liking it quite a bit! :)

    Lynda, let me know how you like it!

    Aw, Nicole, thank you! xoxoxo

    Ruby, yesterday was the first day I actually enjoyed the walk! It was a great feeling!

    Misunderstood, it certainly has!

    Patrick, I'd love to see that recipe when you have time!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Mark, Loki does! Now if only I could keep up with him. ;)

    Meg, I agree!

    Ooh, Grace, I'll have to try it with mushrooms next time, I loooove mushrooms!

    ReplyDelete