Sunday, May 16, 2010

To the Moon!


I was hoping for King Sunshine to show this face this morning so that I could have some pool time but, alas, His Solar Highness has decided to take the day off. Oh, he continues to tease me, occasionally peeking from behind the clouds but not enough to warrant me changing into a bathing suit and actually making my way outdoors. So I gave up on the Sun and turned my attention toward la Luna, curled up with Beren and watched Astronaut Farmer. What a great film, we thoroughly enjoyed it!

Now My Man is working in the garage and the girls are out & about, leaving the kitchen all to me! I actually love staying home on Sunday afternoons, puttering about and cooking something a bit more time-consuming than the basic weeknight fare. I have some zucchini and tomatoes languishing in my produce basket, am going to use them to appease my vegetarian children who have been bemoaning my lack of cooking lately. Harrumph...it's not that I am cooking less, dear hearts, it's that they are eating take-out instead of coming home for dinner! Hopefully today we can all gather 'round the table and enjoy some veggie-laden goodness.

Summer Vegetarian Chili

-------- ------------ --------------------------------
2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
1 cup chopped onion
5 large cloves garlic -- minced
2 tablespoons chili powder -- or more to taste
2 teaspoons ground cumin
2 cups chopped fresh tomatoes
15 ounces black beans, canned -- (15 ounce)
1 cup water -- or red wine
1 cup chopped green bell pepper -- or any color
1 cup chopped zucchini
1 cup corn kernels
1 cup chopped mushrooms
1 cup chopped fresh cilantro -- packed
1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper -- or more to
taste
Salt and freshly ground black pepper -- to
taste

Heat oil in medium pot. Add onion, garlic, chili powder and cumin. Saute over medium heat until onion is soft, about 5 minutes. Add remaining ingredients (except garnishes) and stir. Bring to a boil, then lower heat and simmer 20 minutes or until vegetables are soft. Add more liquid if needed.

Serve alone or over rice (preferably brown). Garnish if desired with any of the following: reduced-fat cheddar cheese, onion, fat-free sour cream, guacamole, fresh cilantro.

Serves 6

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 172 Calories; 6g Fat (30.2% calories from fat); 7g Protein; 25g Carbohydrate; 7g Dietary Fiber; 0mg Cholesterol; 257mg Sodium. 3 WW POINTS, not including rice or garnishes.

Rapunzel's NOTES : Can also be cooked in a slowcooker which is how I do it

Have a Beauty-Full Day,

No comments:

Post a Comment