Sunday, June 14, 2009

Control


Last night we celebrated my stepdaughter's birthday with a BBQ at the castle. Family & friends gathered around and gorged on burgers, hot dogs & chicken, both real and vegetarian versions. We also had corn and grilled veggies, french fries and shrimp. Mmmm! I am pleased to report that though I ate and drank to my heart's content, I did so in moderation. One fried shrimp, one handful of french fries, one small slice of cake, and then I filled up on the veggies and veggie products.

This morning I woke up not dreading the scale and finding that it's actually down a couple of ounces! Proof that I can party in moderation, it doesn't have to be a complete binge fest every time the occasion arises! Yay, me!

The sun is shining and I'm planning a nice day poolside, don't want to be bothered cooking afterward so I'm throwing this recipe into the crockpot. Along with a sliver of Petit Francais bread, it'll be the perfect Sunday night meal.

Crockpot Veggie Soup

Recipe By :JaneStarr

0 Points Per Serving

1 14.5-oz can canned cut tomatoes with onion and garlic
1 14.5-oz can 99% Fat Free Vegetable Broth
2 1/2 cups fatfree chicken broth
5 cups V-8 vegetable juice -- high calcium kind preferred
1 pound frozen carrot slices
1 10-oz package sliced mushrooms
1 medium yellow squash -- sliced
1/4 cup peppers -- frozen, assorted
black pepper -- to taste (1/2 tsp?)
kosher salt -- to taste (1/2 tsp?)
2 tablespoons fresh parsley leaves
1 teaspoon dried basil -- to taste (or 1T fresh)


Put all ingredients into crockpot and set on high. (I use a 4 1/2 quart Rival Oval Crockpot). Cook as long as desired (until veggies are as soft as you like). You can cook this on "low" power all day. I like to start it on "high" to get it up to temp.

*faster Puree half of veggies in small batches in the blender or use a hand-blender right in the turned off crock pot.

Freeze in plastic containers in desired quantities. Thaw and reheat in microwave or stove top.

Since this recipe filled my 4 1/2 qt crockpot, I estimate that this will make about 12 (1 1/2 cup) servings

Yield: "4 1/2 quarts"

Per serving: 62 Calories (kcal); trace Total Fat; (6% calories from fat); 4g Protein; 12g Carbohydrate; 0mg Cholesterol; 781mg Sodium


No comments:

Post a Comment