Sunday, November 1, 2009

Hot Beans!


I am proud to report that, despite Moontime coinciding with Halloween (Mother Nature's cruel joke!) I did not give in to temptation and dive into the candy bowl! I left the Snickers (my favorite) to the trick-or-treaters and consoled myself with a handful of Emerald Cocoa Roast almonds instead. Whew..escaped disaster that time!

Today I'm seeking something easy & effortless, would prefer to curl up on the couch with Mad Men (Don Draper, swoon!) instead of slaving away in the kitchen so I'm going to pull out my crockpot and put it to good use. it's still so hot here in Florida, a/c is cranking, certainly doesn't seem like Autumn.

The inspiration for this recipe comes from a great little cookbook, Good Carb, Better Carb which is chock-full of tasty dishes!

Enjoy!

Hot Three-Bean Casserole

2 tablespoons olive oil
1 cup coarsely chopped onion
1 cup chopped celery
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 can (15 ounces) chick-peas, rinsed and drained
1 can (15 ounces) kidney beans, rinsed and drained
1 cup coarsely chopped tomato
1 can (8 ounces) tomato sauce
1 cup water
1 to 2 jalapeno peppers, minced
1 tablespoon chili powder
2 teaspoons sugar (I'm leaving this out)
1 1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon dried oregano
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
2 1/2 cups (10 ounces) frozen cut green beans

1. Heat olive oil in large skillet over medium heat until hot. Add onion, celery and garlic. Cook and stir 5 minutes or until onion is translucent.

2. Add remaining ingredients except green beans. Bring to a boil; reduce heat to low. Simmer, uncovered, 20 minutes. Add green beans. Simmer, uncovered, 10 minutes or until green beans are just tender.

Makes 12 servings.


No comments:

Post a Comment