Wednesday, May 20, 2009
Hot Dish: Chicken Sybil
Many thanks to my favorite foody blogger, Alanna at Kitchen Parade, for this fabulous recipe! So delicious, so many variations, and soooo fast & easy!
QUICK SUPPER: CHICKEN SYBIL
Hands-on time: 20 minutes
Time-to-table: 20 minutes
Serves 4 (easily adjusts to 1 or 2 servings)
* 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
* 4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts, about ¼ pound each
* Salt & pepper
* OPTIONAL VARIATIONS Handful of capers, sliced mushrooms, diced tomato, green onion, frozen peas, cooked bacon or your choice
* ¼ cup chicken broth
* ¼ cup cream or sour cream or fat-free half ‘n’ half
* 2 tablespoons good mustard
* OPTIONAL SAUCE INGREDIENTS 2 tablespoons orange juice concentrate (my favorite) or maple syrup, marmalade, tomato paste, barbecue sauce or your choice
Melt the butter in a large skillet on MEDIUM HIGH. Between two sheets of waxed paper, pound the chicken breasts with a rolling pin until about a half-inch thick. Season one side, transfer to the skillet seasoned-side down (the meat should sizzle), then season the top side. Reduce the heat to MEDIUM, cook for 4 minutes on one side, then 3 – 4 minutes on the other side. Transfer to warm plates and cover with foil.
Add variation ingredients (if any) to skillet, stir 1 – 2 minutes until warm. Add sauce and optional sauce ingredients (if any) to hot skillet, stirring to incorporate bits of chicken left in pan. Let thicken slightly. Pour sauce over chicken. Serve and enjoy!
NUTRITION ESTIMATE Per Serving: 178 Cal (36% from Fat); 7g Tot Fat; 4g Sat Fat; 1g Carb; 0g Fiber; 82mg Cholesterol; Weight Watchers 4 points