Saturday, February 1, 2014

Hot Dish: Flippin' Good Banana Pancakes


They say that breakfast is the most important meal of the day, and I agree! It's important to give your body the fuel it needs after the night's fast.  However, it happens to be the most difficult meal for vegans, especially if you're dining out. Most restaurant offerings rely on egg and dairy at the very least, even the oatmeal often contains milk. Since I've never been much of a going-out-for-breakfast kind of gal, I prefer to make my own at home.  My go-to morning meal is either roasted potatoes and/or a hot cereal, depending upon how hungry I am.  You know I'm avoiding white flour and processed carbs, but now then one enjoys a little puffy biscuit or fluffy pancake. For the past few weeks, I've been craving the latter. I haven't tried making a vegan version and honestly I was too lazy this morning to cook from scratch, but I recently discovered that Bisquick® baking mix contains no animal products, and that you don't need the egg suggested in every recipe on the box!  Well, I brought out my mixing bowl and with only three ingredients I whipped myself up a batch of golden, delicious pancakes. So good, absolutely worth the 11 PointsPlus it cost me.

Here's the recipe, such as it is:

Banana Pancakes photo 20140201_090919_zpsndaqrhm9.jpg

Flippin' Good Banana Pancakes


  • 1 cup Bisquick® Baking Mix (I used Heart Smart)
  • 1/2 to 3/4 cup non-dairy milk (I used unsweetened almond milk)
  • 1 medium banana, mashed
  1. Mix together, pour onto griddle, cook until golden brown on each side. Serve with slices of banana and syrup of your choice. For me, only pure maple syrup will do.  Enjoy!
Makes 3 large-ish pancakes, serving amount depends on how hungry you are, and whether or not you want to share.

It's a mostly-sunny day here in Florida, am going to burn off these breakfast calories with a nice long walk.

Have a great day, enjoy your weekend!

Michele~

No comments:

Post a Comment