Sunday, February 16, 2014

Sunday Feb 16: The Week in Review

 photo Pin-upreading_zps0eccabaf.jpg

Despite my best intentions and planning, the week did not turn out as expected. Chip's work schedule was super-wacky so I was eating alone several nights, relying on whatever we had in the house. I mostly lived on potato soup, roasted potatoes, veggie burger and salads.

 photo 20140212_122927_zps6drppxkq.jpg

I ate dinner out a couple of times, too. One particular night I met my friend Susan at a Thai restaurant. I had perused the menu ahead of time, noted that though they had no tofu on the menu (strange!), they did have several vegetable dishes. I had my heart set on the Vegetable Curry until I learned that they put fish sauce in theirs. Darn it! I'm glad I inquired, but I settled for a plain bowl of brown rice & steamed veggies. I poured on a little soy sauce just for flavor. Ugh! Glad the company was wonderful because the food definitely left something to be desired.

Steamed Veggies photo 20140213_183633_zpsljdiorax.jpg

Then, of course, there was Valentine's Day. I didn't go crazy, but there were a couple glasses of wine and a tiny bowl of vegan ice cream. Saturday we met up with some friends for happy hour where I enjoyed my weekly french fry fix and shared a Bruschetta with Chip. Our friend Rob (in the foreground) works at this restaurant so he personally spoke to the cook to ensure that our appetizer was 100% vegan. So sweet of him!

 Bruschetta at Brio photo 20140215_181045_zps32esrkvu.jpg

Back to "normal" today, made a pot of chili for dinner. This is another McDougall recipe, delicious blending of traditional flavors with some Moroccan spices thrown in. Super-yummy! I didn't include the peanut butter because I didn't want the added fat, but imagine it would've added a nice flavor to the dish.
 
Chili with Yams photo 20140216_080147_zpsqrkvb1ui.jpg

Chili with Yams 

(print-friendly)


I have been using a lot of red lentils lately because they cook quickly and thicken soups and stews very nicely.  I am also very fond of yams and they go together very well in this dish. This is delicious served with fresh, warm corn tortillas or pita bread.

Preparation Time:  20 minutes
Cooking time:  55 minutes
Servings:  6-8

  • 1 large onion, chopped
  • 3 stalks celery, chopped
  • 1 teaspoon minced garlic
  • 2 ¾ cups water
  • 3 teaspoons chili powder
  • 1 ½ teaspoons smoked paprika
  • ½ teaspoon ground cumin
  • 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
  • ½ teaspoon crushed red pepper
  • 4 cups peeled and chopped yams
  • 1 cup red lentils
  • 2 15 ounce cans diced tomatoes
  • 1 15 ounce can black beans, drained and rinsed (I used my own pressure-cooked beans)
  • 2 tablespoon peanut butter (optional)
  • 2 tablespoons lime juice (optional)
  1. Place ¼ cup of the water in a large soup pot.  Add onion, celery and garlic.  Cook, stirring occasionally until softened, about 5 minutes.  Stir in the chili powder, paprika, cumin, cinnamon and crushed pepper.  
  2. Mix well, then add the remaining water, yams, lentils, tomatoes, and beans.  Stir to combine, bring to a boil, reduce heat, cover and cook for 50 minutes, stirring occasionally. Stir in the peanut butter, one tablespoon at a time, if using.  Season with lime juice and a bit of sea salt, if desired.
Per Serving (based on 6 servings, including peanut butter): 394 Calories; 4g Fat (8.5% calories from fat); 21g Protein; 73g Carbohydrate; 23g Dietary Fiber; 0mg Cholesterol; 535mg Sodium. 
Note: I cooked this in the slow cooker for about 6 hours on High, turned down to warm until ready to serve. 

Hope everyone had a beauty-full weekend!

Michele~

No comments:

Post a Comment