Wednesday, January 4, 2012

Hot Dish: Fairy Soup


When my kids were small, I used to keep an empty plastic ice cream container in our freezer.  To this I would add bits of leftover vegetables, meat, rice, etc., from a couple weeks' worth of dinners.  On the outside of the container I drew a fairy and wrote "Fairy Soup" and told the girls that the fairies were going to make their leftovers into soup! When the container got full enough, I would dump in into the crockpot, add fresh ingredients, some broth, and let it cook all day.  When it was done, we all enjoyed it with great relish and thanked the fairies for a job well done. Silly, perhaps, but it encouraged my family to eat leftovers and taught them not to waste food!

When we returned home from Ormond Monday night, I found the refrigerator packed full.  There were little containers stacking the shelves, all halfway full of vegetables, meat, etc., whatever Kali and Jesus had cooked over the past week.  So, this morning I got to work.  I cleaned out the fridge and made a speedy version of Fairy Soup.

Simmering in my slowcooker right now is a combination of collard greens, diced tomatoes, black eyed peas, black beans, fresh spinach, turkey sausage, carrots, onions, celery, chicken broth and spices.  It looks & smells wonderful! This will be a perfect healthy, hearty dish for a chilly winter night! I'll also be baking a loaf of bread for the family members who aren't avoiding the "white stuff."

I have no idea about nutritional value or PointsPlus, but looking at similar recipes on the Weight Watchers site I would estimate about 4 PointsPlus per 1 cup serving. 


Have a Beauty-Full Day,

2 comments:

  1. I LOVE this idea! I have a 4 year old and a 17 month old and it would be an awesome way to get them to eat some veggies and not waste food! Thanks for this!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kelliann, ooh, please do let me know how it works out! :) My kids still remember it fondly!

    ReplyDelete