Saturday, January 1, 2011

Welcome, 2011!


Happy New Year!


I hope everyone had a festive (yet safe) New Year's Eve! Beren and I had planned to go out, wanted to attend a big Main Street party in Daytona. We'd already decided to take a cab to and fro, not taking any chances with drinking & driving, no matter how much (or little) we chose to imbibe. However, after a couple of drinks with friends early in the evening, we came home, ate dinner and got cuddled up on the couch..one thing led to another and we decided that staying home would be much more fun. *wink* So we lit the fire pit on the patio, donned our Snuggies and listened to the neighborhood fireworks. We were in bed before midnight, actually set the alarm so that I could wake up and call my kids to wish them a happy new year! I'm such a lightweight nowadays.

So, today's the day we start afresh, right? Put aside the holiday gluttony, get back on our diets or start new ones. We make our resolutions, dust off our sneakers, stock up on veggies and start the new year with renewed dedication. I saw evidence of this already; stopping by Wal-Mart on the way into town Thursday night, I witnessed a middle-aged couple near the exercise equipment. She, considerably overweight, was showing her average-sized mate some ankle weights she was considering. A quick glance at her shopping cart revealed running shoes, a food scale, bag of salad, etc., all telltale signs of a new dieter. Laughing and joking, she looked motivated and excited about her new plan, and I found myself smiling and rooting for her. I hope she meets her goal!

As for myself, I haven't stayed On Program 100% the past week, have nibbled a cookie here, sipped an extra glass of wine there..ate "normally" on Christmas Eve and Day..and though I haven't lost any weight, I haven't gained either. I'm really pleased about that, feel like I was able to enjoy the "feasting" part of the holidays without going overboard, and am ready to get back on track today. No guilt, no remorse, no squeezing into too-tight clothes thanks to overindulgences. (In fact, I bought a couple of new tops yesterday, both Medium, and Beren actually said one of them looks too big on me!) All in all, I think I did really well dieting during this time of year, am giving myself a little pat on the back. *smile*

Now, onward, as my friend Misunderstood would say! Not one to make resolutions per se, I do like to reflect on the past year, good and bad, and state my intentions for the coming year. Here are the things I intend to do in 2011, health-wise:

*Continue with Jenny Craig, reach my official goal weight (20 more pounds) and perhaps drop another 5 pounds below that. We'll see how I look & feel when I get there.

*Maintenance. This one's going to be tough, I know it, as I can't slip back into old habits and gain the weight back. I've worked too damned hard to lose it! No backsliding.

*Exercise more. I've been slacking on the treadmill the past couple of weeks and need to make that a regular routine again, at least 5 days a week. I started to up my time from 30 to 40 minutes, would like to increase that to 45 minutes this year.

*Cook more, and better. That's the one thing I've really missed about being on Jenny, the cooking. I miss the creative process as well as nourishing the people I love. Oh, I still prepare a meal here & there for Beren and the kids but not to the degree I used to. As much as I love cooking, I want to dedicate more time and energy to it this year. Beren bought me a JC cookbook for Yule and said that he'd like to start eating "that way" (ie; healthier) which pleases me to no end!

*Create more. By this I mean artsy/crafty things and while that may not see to be about my health, it is. Big time. I have started crocheting again, picking up a lifetime hobby that I'd abandoned years ago. It is not only therapeutic and creative which is good for my soul, if I've got a crochet needle in my hand I can't eat! So while Beren's watching football or we're enjoying a tv show together, I sit & crochet, keeping my hands active doing something other than shoving food into my face! I have some other art projects in the works and as Kali said when she presented me with a new craft book for Yule, I have a Mom Cave now, no excuse not to get crafting!

*Make long overdue medical appointments. I recently went for my "lady doctor" visit and mammogram, almost a year late, and now need to schedule the dentist and routine physical. I haven't had a physical in several years, honestly hadn't wanted to step on the scale! Well, before my 47th Birthday I will reach goal and will happily hop on that doctor's scale when I do so. No excuses, I've got to take better care of my insides as well as the outside!

I think that's it. Basically I just plan to continue what I've been doing the past three months, and rev it up a little bit! I don't know about you guys, but I am looking forward to 2011 and what the year will bring! It's going to be a fabulous year, I can feel it!

So, what about you. What are your resolutions/intentions? How do you plan to take care of yourself over the next 12 months?

Have a Beauty-Full Day,


12 comments:

  1. Thank you, Jacquie! Happy New Year to you and yours as well. xoxoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats on sticking with it! It's my goal to get *back* to it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy New Year!

    Your results on Jenny Craig are inspiring. You sound so very happy! I knit to keep my hands busy, and it definitely helps.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Betsy, kudos to you for renewing your commitment! Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy New Year, Meg! I am happy, even more so now that I can breathe easier and my chronic back pain is gone! Oh, and fitting into cuter clothes helps, too. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. And you left a comment on my film blog, too!! *yay* thank you!!! :")

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congrats on your loss to date, I KNOW you'll meet your goal!! And love the rest of your goals, its going to be a good year for you!!! (PS: I don't have the veggie caviar recipe you asked for - I bought it at a farmers market. Basically its salsa incredients pulsed up in a food processor then thickened with tomato paste....wish I could be more specific! :) xo)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Rapunzel Rapunzel let down your hair…
    Thanks for the shot out in your post and yes ONWARD ONWARD ONWARD! I have not gone anywhere and I see you still want better health in your life - wonderful. I stopped blogging for a bit but will get back into it. Lets all make 2011 a wonderful year!!!
    GREAT list for 2011!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Happy New Year! Sounds like you have some great things to accomplish in 2011, you can do it!!!
    Good luck with getting your B-day wish, being a pin-up is the best reward!!

    Roxie

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you, Roz! I'll have to try the caviar, it sounds wonderful!

    Thank you so much, Roxie! Well, I'll be a (slightly) older pin-up than most, LOL, but that's ok!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Happy belated new year! Sounds like you had fun! I came home early too :) Great resolutions and congrats on keeping on track!!!!

    ReplyDelete