Saturday, March 6, 2010

Winter Blues


Yes, it's true, even here in the tropics we are experiencing cooler-than-usual temperatures! I've got to tell you, as much as I enjoy the crisp air and lower electric bills that result from finally turning off the a/c, I'm tired of winter! I sit here with a blanket on my lap, gazing longingly at my swimming pool and overgrown herb garden, wishing I could get outside and play!

Well, never mind, I'm just going to pretend it's warm outside and whip myself up a nice fruity smoothie for breakfast! Surely this will help chase those winter blues away!

This quick & easy recipe is from a new cookbook I picked up at the thrift store last weekend, Mary Meade's Magic Recipes: A Cookbook for the Electric Blender, copyright 1965.


Pineapple Smoothie
-------- ------------ --------------------------------
1 cup fresh pineapple -- diced
2 tablespoons sugar
1 cup milk
1/2 cup cracked ice

Blend about 30 seconds to a minute.

Serves 2.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 161 Calories; 4g Fat (23.6% calories from fat); 4g Protein; 28g Carbohydrate; 1g Dietary Fiber; 17mg Cholesterol; 62mg Sodium.
Appx 2 WW POINTS.


Look how just a couple of changes brought down the calories by half and saved me a POINT while not sacrificing a bit of taste!

Pineapple Smoothie Redux

-------- ------------ --------------------------------
1 cup fresh pineapple -- diced
1 teaspoon aspartame sweetener
1 cup skim milk
1/2 cup cracked ice

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Blend about 30 seconds to a minute.

Serves 2.

Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 85 Calories; 1g Fat (5.4% calories from fat); 5g Protein; 16g Carbohydrate; 1g Dietary Fiber; 2mg Cholesterol; 66mg Sodium.
Appx 1 WW POINT.


Yummy! Now if only changing the weather were so easy...

2 comments:

  1. Oh I get that winter blues thing! I am ready for the sun shiny days of Spring!
    Thanks for the recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jules, I am soooo ready for spring! :)

    ReplyDelete