Thursday, March 18, 2010

The Leprechaun Made Me Do It



Last night my office had their annual St Patty's Day party and in the spirit of honesty, I must admit that I completely overdid it, to the tune of a 40.5 POINT day. Yikes! But I was aware of what I was doing, ate and drank purposefully, had a wonderful time with my workmates knowing that I'd pay for it later. So, I woke up this morning, got on my treadmill, drank a huge bottle of water and then sat down to log the damages. Because of my overindulgence, I only have 15.5 flex POINTS left for the week and will have to then rely on earned Activity POINTS. If I continue to visit my treadmill daily, I shouldn't have a problem.

Since I only used one head of cabbage for dinner last night, I'm left with another whole head and am looking for a healthy way to prepare it. Beren and I will be going out of town tonight, having dinner in an unknown restaurant where I won't have as much control over the menu so lunch time is my chance to make really good choices.

This recipe is from My Better Homes and Gardens Cookbook, copyright 1938.


Shredded Cabbage-Green Pepper Salad

-------- ------------ --------------------------------
3 cups shredded cabbage
1/2 cup green pepper -- finely chopped
1 small cucumber -- diced
1/4 cup chopped celery
1 tablespoon minced onion
1/3 cup vinegar
1 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon pepper
1/2 cup cream

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Combine cabbage, green pepper, cucumber, celery and onion. Combine vinegar, salt, and pepper; pour over vegetables and chill 30 minutes. Just before serving, add cream and mix thoroughly.

Serves 6

Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 71 Calories; 5g Fat (61.0% calories from fat); 2g Protein; 6g Carbohydrate; 2g Dietary Fiber; 17mg Cholesterol; 375mg Sodium. Appx 1 WW POINT


There really wasn't much to change here, used red & orange peppers because that's what I had on hand and fat free half & half instead of the cream but that small change brought this down to a Zero POINT salad! Since I'm likely to eat more than one serving I'll count this as a whole POINT but so what? That's nothing compared to what I consumed yesterday! *blush* I will also have a small slice of plain soda bread, making this a 3 POINT lunch. Pretty good, huh?

Shredded Cabbage-Green Pepper Salad Redux

-------- ------------ --------------------------------
3 cups shredded cabbage
1/2 cup green pepper -- finely chopped
1 small cucumber -- diced
1/4 cup chopped celery
1 tablespoon minced onion
1/3 cup vinegar
1 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon pepper
1/2 cup fat free half-and-half

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 35 Calories; trace Fat (4.9% calories from fat); 1g Protein; 7g Carbohydrate; 2g Dietary Fiber; 0mg Cholesterol; 387mg Sodium. Appx 0 WW POINTS



30 min on treadmill, 223 calories burned, 2 POINTS earned

No comments:

Post a Comment