Friday, January 10, 2014

Hot Dish: Veggie-and-Bean Burritos


Well, this is a first: I am actually blogging from the road..in a car..thanks to Chip's "jet pack" mobile WiFi thingie. Ha! Technology is a wonderful thing. We got up early (4 am) in order to hit the road by 6, needed to do a couple of chores, feed the critters, etc. before loading up the car and heading north. We are on the way to Ormond for the weekend. Chip has a work meeting and then we're off to look at houses! That's right, we are hoping to buy a new home. I won't say any more just yet, don't want to jinx it, but rest assured I'll be blabbing about it should the plan come to fruition.

Now, let's talk food. Last night I scrounged up some "mystery ingredients" from the fridge: half a zucchini, a few carrots, half an onion, etc, along with the cooked brown rice and beans I always keep on hand. Along with some spices and condiments, I was able to create a vegan version of this recipe. I didn't total up the calories, etc but I did run the recipe through WW's Recipe Builder.  It was but since I'm following Simply Filling, it only cost me 6 PointsPlus for the tortilla and condiments; everything else was a Power Food! Also, though the original recipe says it serves 4, I had a ton of filling left over, enough to make one more burrito if not two! I left the serving size at four, didn't have time to edit last night.

So, without further ado....may I present to you the healthiest, yummiest burritos I've ever made! Ta-da!

 photo 20140109_163749_zps0lfrivm2.jpg

Veggie-and-Bean Burritos

(print friendly) 

  • Cooking spray
  • 2 teaspoons olive oil
  • 1/2 cup chopped white onion
  • 1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and minced
  • 2 cloves garlic, minced
  • 1 teaspoon ground cumin
  • 1 teaspoon chili powder
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
  • 1 cup shredded carrots
  • 1 cup shredded zucchini
  • 1/2 cup frozen white or yellow corn, thawed
  • 15-ounce cooked black beans, rinsed and drained if using canned
  • 2 tablespoons picante sauce or salsa (I used taco sauce 'cause that's what I had on hand)
  • 1 cup cooked brown rice or brown basmati rice
  • 4 (burrito-size) flour tortillas, regular or whole grain (I used Smart & Delicious 100-calorie)
  • 8 tablespoons shredded vegan cheese (I used Vegan Gourmet)
  • 4 tablespoons vegan sour cream (I used Better Than Sour Cream by Tofutti)
  • 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro (optional, can leave it off it you've got a cilantro-averse family member as I do)
  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray a baking sheet with cooking spray.
  2. Heat the oil in large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the onion, jalapeno and garlic and cook for 3 to 5 minutes, until the onion is soft and golden. Add the cumin, chili powder, salt, and pepper and stir to coat. Add the carrots, zucchini and corn and cook for 3 minutes, until the vegetables are tender. Stir in the beans, rice and picante sauce and remove from heat.

     photo 20140109_164910_zpstqvecgin.jpg

  3. Arrange the tortillas on a flat surface. Spoon and equal amount of the vegetable filling onto each tortilla (right down the middle). Top the filling with the cheese (2 tablespoons each). Roll over one side of the tortilla to cover the filling. Fold in the ends and then roll up completely. Arrange the burritos, seam side down, on the prepared baking sheet. Bake for 6 to 8 minutes, until warm and golden. Top each burrito with sour cream and cilantro before serving. Serves 4 generously, with leftover filling for another use

     photo 20140109_165718_zpszcsvmcgh.jpg

     photo 20140109_165926_zpsgtrnugax.jpg

     photo 20140109_171511_zpspsktw7gw.jpg

Again, please forgive my crappy photos. The lighting is rotten in this house, and even taking the food out to the patio doesn't help when we're eating at dusk. But I trust that you all can look beyond my limited photography skills and see the goodness of the food itself.

Ah, look at that, it's breakfast time! Chip's pulling into a fast food restaurant, have no clue what the heck I'm gonna eat, wish me luck!

Have a beauty-full day..

Michele~

2 comments:

  1. Those look like amazing and very FRESH burritos. Love the sexy little blog! ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Aisling! I'm still doing my other blog but missed the "pin-up" side of me. ;)

      Delete