Friday, March 12, 2010
Definitions of contrary on the Web:
* very opposed in nature or character or purpose; "acts contrary to our code of ethics"; "the facts point to a contrary conclusion"
* reverse: a relation of direct opposition; "we thought Sue was older than Bill but just the reverse was true"
* of words or propositions so related that both cannot be true but both may be false; "`hot' and `cold' are contrary terms"
* exact opposition; "public opinion to the contrary he is not guilty"
* resistant to guidance or discipline; "Mary Mary quite contrary"; "an obstinate child with a violent temper"; "a perverse mood"; "wayward behavior"
* adverse: in an opposing direction; "adverse currents"; "a contrary wind"
The reason I quoted the above definitions is because I myself feel quite contrary as of late in that I say I want something but over & over I do do just the opposite! Of course I'm talking about losing weight and becoming healthier. I say I will stay on target, follow my eating plan and write down every single morsel of food that enters my mouth yet a quick glance at my journal proves otherwise. I say I will exercise every day because I feel absolutely fabulous afterward and know it's good for my body & mind, yet my running shoes stand neglected in the corner and my treadmill is covered in dust. I say I enjoy preparing healthy meals for myself and my family yet last night I ate pizza because I was too lazy to cook. I even say I love gardening and the fresh herbs and vegetables my garden provides but I'm staring outside my window at an overgrown mess of weeds and dirt! (The weather is no excuse; here in Florida I can grow something year round).
The list goes on & on, so many examples of my actions being in direct opposition to what I profess to be my goals! It's frustrating to step on the scale each week to see absolutely no change but I have no one to blame but myself! My weight loss has stalled along wit my efforts and something seriously has to change or I'm going to enter my 47th year the same way I did my 46th: overweight and unhappy about it.
So, today I am headed out to the garden to hoe those weeds and prepare the soil for some new herbs and veggies. Perhaps in the process I'll not only stretch my muscles but also clear some of the weeds out of my head, especially the ones that are choking my motivation and spirit!
Have a Beauty-Full Day,