Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Lemony Loveliness

Pacific Maid Lemons Label
Well, my little road trip is over, back to the grind. Beren and I had a lovely time, so glad we were able to get away for a bit even if it was work-related.

Here's a little story for you. When I was pregnant with my first daughter, Kali, I was 19 years old and about 105 pounds. I know, ridiculous, right? I had a really easy pregnancy, thank goodness, never got really sick or anything. However, I had the strangest craving - for lemons! I would slice them, sprinkle salt on top and devour them! It makes my mouth pucker just to think about it but that's what I did. Friends have speculated that the citrus might have helped keep the nausea at bay and they might be correct, all I know is they didn't prevent me from gaining 50 pounds! Anyway, all these years later I still enjoy lemon in anything/everything, so when Beren and I stumbled upon this adorable Italian restaurant yesterday I knew we had to try it! (sorry for the fuzzy picture which really doesn't do it justice, my phone camera is not the best).

Trattoria Limoncello, Punta Gorda

Trattoria Limoncello which means Lemon Kitchen. Isn't that adorable? My own kitchen at home is similar, yellow & blue with a Mediterranean feel so I was quite at home! And, oh, my the food was just as wonderful as the atmosphere! I had a "personal" vegetarian pizza which ended up being enough for both lunch and dinner.

Vegetarian Pizza

As you can see, typical of most Italian restaurants, the portions were huge! Beren will be enjoying his leftover calzone for lunch today, lucky guy!

Even after all of that "white stuff," and with the arrival of my moontime this morning, I got on the scale to find that I have lost another .08 pounds. Ok, not a ton for sure, but almost a pound with eating & drinking as much as I did was not bad! How did this happen? I did some thinking and really feel that it's portion control along with lack of snacking. When I'm in Ormond, we're so busy that I don't snack much. Same with the past couple of days being out of town. We have 3 square meals and that is it. I wonder if my metabolism is just not responsive to the often-recommended 5 or 6 mini-meals?

I'm going to continue on this way as best I can, it's harder to do while at work, I tend to get bored and reach into my desk drawer for a little mid-morning or afternoon snack but I'll see how it goes and will let you know how this experiment turns out. How about you all? What works for you?

10 comments:

  1. You are doing fantastic. .8 is OK by me! It is certainly a step in the right direction and it sounds as though you did pretty good in the eating department. Wish I had a piece of that pizza!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have to agree with the portions! That is the one thing that I do focus on and that has made a big difference for me

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, as a newly pregnant woman whose mother also ate tons of lemons while she was pregnant with me, I can say that lemons are the thing I crave most. I have, however, always loved anything lemon flavored or scented. Even our wedding cake was a combo of lemon curd and lemon buttercream layers. (Sorry! Not exactly diet talk!)

    That pizza looked fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  4. My partner is half Italian (his Mum's side) and his mum is one of those Italian 'feeders'! lol Tiramisu is my downfall.... :o(

    ReplyDelete
  5. Patsy, my 1st ex-husband (lol) was half Italian as well, that's how I learned to cook (and eat!) Italian food. *groan* I love all of it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Bette, that is so interesting! I wonder if my daughter will crave lemons as well? I always enjoyed lemons as well, including those Lemon Drop candies, lol! Not diet talk there either. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you, Ellen! ooh, that pizza was every bit as good as it looked! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Jules, restaurant portions are ridiculous! I'm learning a lot about portion size from these vintage cookbooks as well; no wonder the women of the 40's and 50's were slimmer!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hey! I'm new to your blog. I'm enjoying it a lot! =D Anyway, what works for me is moderate meals 3 times a day, healthy snacks in between, and lots of water! I hope you find what works for your body. Just stay healthy.

    ReplyDelete
  10. All Women Stalker, thank you so much for stopping by and for the great advice! :)

    ReplyDelete