Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Pasta Ole!



In planning tonight's dinner, I knew I wanted to use up some of the 4th of July leftovers, in a healthy way. Plugging some ingredients into Allrecipes.com, I came up with this unique pasta recipe, Mexican Pasta. I tweaked the ingredients a bit, using the raw veggies and grilled corn that I had on hand and using Ro*tel tomatoes for flavor. I also eliminated the oil (and a bunch of calories) by using olive oil cooking spray. Knowing that my family isn't really fond of onions, I also cut the quantity down to just one.

Pasta Ole!

1/2 pound seashell pasta
1 onion, chopped
1 green or red bell pepper, chopped
1/2 cup sweet corn kernels
1 (15 ounce) can black beans, drained
1 (14.5 ounce) can peeled and diced tomatoes (Ro*tel preferred)
1/4 cup salsa
1/4 cup sliced black olives
1 1/2 tablespoons taco seasoning mix
salt and pepper to taste




Directions

Bring a large pot of lightly salted water to a boil. Add pasta and cook for 8 to 10 minutes or until al dente; drain.

While pasta is cooking, cook onions and pepper in non-stick pan sprayed with cooking oil until lightly browned, 10 minutes. Stir in corn and heat through. Stir in black beans, tomatoes, salsa, olives, taco seasoning and salt and pepper and cook until thoroughly heated, 5 minutes.

Toss sauce with cooked pasta and serve.

Note: I topped my serving with a scant teaspoon of this delicious Mexican cheese..



The result? Exquisito!



No comments:

Post a Comment