Saturday, April 24, 2010

Happy Earth Day Weekend!



In honor of Earth Day, and just because we felt like doing some gardening, Beren and I planted an herb garden in Ormond last weekend. I know I worked off a bunch of calories because my calves & thighs were killing me afterward!


(to my nail tech's dismay, I garden barehanded and barefooted)




This weekend we're working on a butterfly garden, can't wait to get dirty with Beren again! *wink*



To use up all of those delicious herbs, I'm making Sausage Pizzaiola Style from Claire's Italian Feast. I eliminate the olive oil, using a non-stick skillet and spritz of olive-oil flavored cooking spray instead, bringing the POINTS value down from 11 to a mere 7. Along with a big green salad this is going to be a healthy, filling meal!


Sausage Pizzaiola Style

-------- ------------ --------------------------------
1/4 cup olive oil
2 large yellow onions -- cut into thick ribs
11 ounces meatless sausage link -- cut into 1-inch-thick slices
1 pound mushrooms -- quartered
salt and pepper -- to taste
28 ounces canned crushed tomatoes
2 cups water
4 medium potatoes -- peeled and cut into 1-inch cubes
1 tablespoon dried oregano
1/4 cup dry red wine
1/4 cup finely chopped fresh parsley
1 cup frozen green peas -- thawed

Heat the olive oil in a large pot over medium heat. Add the onions, sausages, mushrooms, salt and pepper. Cover and cook, stirring occasionally, for 15 minutes, or until the onions are soft.

Add the tomatoes, water, potatoes, oregano, wine, and parsley. Stir to combine. Cover and bring to a medium boil (this will take about 15 minutes). Cook at a medium boil, stirring occasionally, for about 30 minutes, or until the potatoes are tender.

Stir in the green peas. Cook, stirring occasionally, for 1 to 2 minutes, or until the peas are heated through. Taste for seasonings.

Description:
"This delicious meal is also convenient to make. Cook it in one pot on top of the stove, and a short time later you can enjoy a complete dinner - and have only one pot to wash!"
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 570 Calories; 29g Fat (43.5% calories from fat); 25g Protein; 60g Carbohydrate; 12g Dietary Fiber; 0mg Cholesterol; 1023mg Sodium. 11 POINTS before Redux, 7 POINTS by eliminating olive oil.


Have a Beauty-Full Day,

8 comments:

  1. That recipe sounds really good! How long have you been doing Weight Watchers? I had tremendous success with that program about 6 years ago--it helped me FINALLY get rid of ALL the leftover baby weight from our gigantic boy. Good luck!

    And by the way, my nails look HORRIBLE during the summer months, too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great photos! I can't wait until I have my own little herb garden - get a chance to practice herbalism as and when I want! :o)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Rapunzel,just wanted to say you both look so beautiful and happy in that photo.x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi there
    I'm stopping by from the Lady Blogger's tea, a little late. Love your blog title! Great recipe idea, I'll look forward to reading more.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi, Katie, thanks so much for stopping by! I have been doing WW on & off for about 20 years now, ever since I gave birth to my middle daughter and needed some help losing the weight. It's the only program that really worked for me. I was most successful 6 years ago when I dropped about 25 pounds but, alas, have put it back on..and then some. WW works if you work it, I need to get serious about that again!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Kristin, thank you for stopping by, great to "see" you here! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oooh, Patsy, you will love having your own herbs to tend to! Nothing like sitting in your yard and soaking in the fresh herb smells, knowing they are there for your enjoyment whenever you want!

    ReplyDelete