Friday, July 30, 2010

Juuuuust Right!

I've been reading a lot about the benefits of oatmeal, specifically the steel-cut variety. I am a big fan of hot cereal for breakfast, have fond memories of my Mom serving me Cream of Rice as a child, so I didn't need much encouragement to give them a try. The only deterrent to steel-cut versus regular oatmeal is the time factor: they do take longer to cook. This is where I put my slow cooker to good use! I tweaked Alton Brown's recipe ever-so-slightly and came up with this warm & tasty goodness.


Overnight Oatmeal

-------- ------------ --------------------------------
1 cup oats
1 cup dried cranberries
1 cup raisins
4 cups water
1/2 cup half and half

In a slow cooker, combine all ingredients and set to warm heat. Cover and let cook for 8 to 9 hours.

In the morning, turn heat to "low" for about an hour. Stir and remove to serving bowls. This method works best if started before you go to bed. This way your oatmeal will be finished by morning.


- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 301 Calories; 6g Fat (18.0% calories from fat); 9g Protein; 56g Carbohydrate; 6g Dietary Fiber; 11mg Cholesterol; 25mg Sodium.



Oh, my goodness! This was fabulous! I managed to grab one scoopful before my kids swooped in and gobbled the rest right up, I will definitely be making this again...tomorrow!

11 comments:

  1. I read that you can freeze it after it's cooked..I wonder what that would be like heated up??

    Recipe sounds good!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh thank you for this post... I too have been experimenting with steel cut and the time is a pain. But slow cooking, brilliant!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am going to have to try that! Sounds yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  4. One of the memories I have of food as a child was my mom giving us the oatmeal variety packs. I was the only one of her children that liked the maple and brown sugar so I never had to worry about my siblings taking mine. I would use very little water and liked it clumpy and sort of dry – everyone thought that was gross – so what it was mine. My mother loved us beyond words and sacrificed her entire life for us... what a woman. I owe everything to her!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like regular oats, but steel-cut oats don't seem to be as widespread on this side of the pond. It's a shame because I too have been hearing a lot about them and would like to track some down :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I never thought of putting it in a slow cooker before. That's brilliant!

    I love steel-cut oats. Adding cranberries makes it heaven.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Julie, I'm not sure how it would turn out but it's worth a try!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Patrick, now that I've cooked it this way, I won't go back!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Misunderstood, what a beautiful memory..and sentiment about your mom!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Mark, I do hope you find them somewhere!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Grace, I agree about the cranberries, makes such a difference in flavor!

    ReplyDelete