Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Curried Away


I really crave strong flavors in my food, especially when I'm dieting. I find that cutting out fat and other bad-for-me stuff doesn't hurt nearly as much when I add more herbs & spices. Since I'm also leaning more & more toward vegetarianism, I'm discovering more & more Indian & Thai recipes that fit the bill!

I was thrilled to come across this fabulous recipe and make it my own. It was warm & flavorful and served over Mediterranean Curry Couscous along with a big salad made a perfect dinner last night! Next time I might add a bit more spice but otherwise, delicious! With my tweaking I got the POINTS down to 3 sans rice or couscous, a really low-key meal that allowed room for some coconut sorbet for dessert!

Sweet Potato Curry With Spinach and Chickpeas

SERVES 6

* 1/2 large sweet onion, chopped or 2 scallions, thinly sliced
* 2 tablespoons curry powder
* 1 tablespoon cumin
* 1 teaspoon cinnamon
* 10 ounces fresh spinach, washed, stemmed and coarsely chopped
* 2 large sweet potatoes, peeled and diced (about 2 lbs), cooked according to your preference
* 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can chickpeas, rinsed and drained
* 1 cup water
* 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can diced tomatoes, can substitute fresh if available
* 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro, for garnish
* rice or couscous for serving
* 1 tsp minced garlic

Toss all ingredients into the slowcooker on Low, walk away and enjoy your day! When you get home (4 - 6 hours later) you'll be welcomed home with the sweet & spicy aroma of cinnamon & curry, yummy!

Bon Appétit,


2 comments:

  1. Sounds fabulous! It's on the menu for this week. Thanks for sharing!!

    ReplyDelete