Saturday, March 24, 2012

Soup's On!


Beren and I have a big day today so I can't stay online for long, have to beautify myself before our post-wedding party this afternoon.  Yes, you'll be seeing pics and hearing all the details later on..smile..but in the meantime, I've got to share a recipe with you.  I made this soup yesterday and oh. my. goodness.  This might be the best freakin' soup I have ever eaten. Seriously, it's that good. And so healthy, filled with fresh veggies! I don't have the nutritional breakdown yet (sorry!) but when I do so I'll pass along that info. For now, copy down the ingredients and run to your supermarket for whatever you're missing. Tonight when you're oooh-ing and ahhh-ing over this fabulousness, I'm sure you'll be thanking me.

photo snatched fromthedomesticvegan.com


Chickpea and Wild Rice Soup for the Slow Cooker

Ingredients
  • 1 large onion, chopped
  • 2 carrots, sliced
  • 2 stalks of celery (leaves included – they’re great for flavor), sliced
  • 8 ounces fresh mushrooms, sliced (approx 2 cups)
  • 4 garlic cloves, minced
  • ¼ cup fresh parsley, chopped
  • 1 cup wild rice, dry/uncooked
  • ¾ cup flour
  • 2 Tbsp nutritional yeast
  • 2 tsp dry rubbed sage
  • 1 tsp dried thyme
  • ½ tsp mustard powder
  • ½ tsp curry powder
  • Lots of fresh black pepper
  • 8 cups broth (I use 8 cups water + 3 not-chick’n bouillon cubes)
  • 2 Tbsp Earth Balance nondairy butter (can be omitted but adds a nice richness)
  • 2 generous cups cooked chickpeas
  • ½ cup slivered almonds
  • 1-2 cups unsweetened nondairy milk 
Directions
  1. Add all ingredients, except nondairy milk, to slow cooker. Cover & cook on LOW for 8-10 hours. About 30 minutes before serving, stir in milk & let warm through. (Depending on how much water has soaked into the rice & evaporated during cooking, you will have to add the amount of milk you like for desired soupiness.)
  2. Taste for seasoning, and add salt & pepper as desired. Garnish with fresh parsley & serve with your favorite crusty bread.
  3. Yield: 6-8 servings (leftovers freeze very well)
 
Have a Beauty-Full Day,

No comments:

Post a Comment