Monday, September 19, 2011

Hot Dish: Coconut Curry Shrimp


I found this recipe in my weekly Weight Watchers newsletter, looked so delicious that I had to try it immediately. Well, I was not disappointed; this was amazing! Even Beren-the-Junk-Food-King enjoyed it, and that's saying something!

I have a cooking challenge I'd like to share with you all: since we're alone up here I'm usually cooking for just the two of us, no kids, and I'm finding it difficult. I'm not used to making such small portions and for the first couple of weeks I found myself with too many leftovers. Some of them could be frozen and I did so, but others, not so much. I hate wasting food (money) and the time it takes to prepare meals, so I'm finally learning to pare down the recipe so there's just enough for two. It sounds silly but as a mom of a large-ish family, this feels foreign to me! Well, I tried it for the first time last night on this recipe and must admit, it worked perfectly. No waste & no leftovers which means no temptation to grab seconds!

Does anyone else have this problem? Empty nesters or young couples struggling with this issue? I could use some tips & tricks!



Coconut Curry Shrimp
Weight Watchers Recipe

Course: main meals
PointsPlus® Value: 8
Servings: 4
Preparation Time: 10 min
Cooking Time: 8 min
Level of Difficulty: Easy

A classic combination that’s easy to spice up or cool down. If you like a looser sauce, add 1/2 cup of water to the coconut milk.

Ingredients
2 spray(s) cooking spray
2 tsp olive oil
1 Tbsp curry powder, mild or hot, to taste
1/2 tsp table salt
3 medium scallion(s), thinly sliced, green and white parts separated
1/2 cup(s) light coconut milk
1 pound(s) shrimp, large, shelled and deveined
3 cup(s) cooked brown rice
Instructions

Coat a medium to large skillet with cooking spray; add oil and set over medium heat. When heated, add curry powder and salt; cook, stirring constantly, until curry is fragrant, about 1 minute.

Add white parts of scallions; cook, stirring occasionally, about 2 minutes more. Add coconut milk; stir to blend. Add shrimp; cook, stirring occasionally, until shrimp turn pink, about 4 to 5 minutes. Sprinkle with green parts of scallions; serve. Yields about 5 to 6 shrimp, 3/4 cup rice and 1 to 2 tablespoons sauce per serving.

Notes:

Add cilantro, hot peppers or tomatoes for a completely different twist.
Serve this recipe with fresh pineapple, mango or papaya to cut the spice (will affect PointsPlus values).



Beren's car broke down (again) yesterday so he took mine to work. This means I will be housebound for most of the day. Not a problem, there's more than enough to keep me busy around here. I'm hoping the weather cooperates and I can take Loki for a little walk, then perhaps I'll do some research on Cooking for Two.

Have a Beauty-Full Day,

No comments:

Post a Comment