Friday, October 23, 2009

If Mama Ain't Happy....


Beren and I are here at our "weekend/vacation house" where I am presented with different challenges than at home. First off, I am just building up my freezer/pantry so my recipe ingredients are limited. I also don't have the same cooking equipment I'm used to (no slowcooker, etc) and since we're only here on weekends I've got to be conscious of the spoilage-factor so I'm required to shop for fresh produce more often and watch my portion sizes, can't stand to throw away veggies! Lastly, Beren's girls are here and they are very picky eaters..groan...and my own children (not-so-picky but mostly vegetarian) are visiting as well so cooking a family meal is quite a feat! Add all of these issues to my new low-carb diet and you have a recipe for disaster, or at the very least a very frustrated mama!

Since I am determined not to compromise my weight loss for anybody else's convenience (call me selfish, I don't care), I'm making a shopping list and a menu plan which the Other People will just have to deal with. Now & then the Cook has to be accommodated, right? Harrumph.

I did a bit of searching and found this tasty, easy recipe for stuffed peppers which, if I substitute veggie crumbles for half the recipe, should appease the carnivores and vegetarians alike. Hope they like it, otherwise there's always PB&J. *wink*

MAKE ME STUFFED PEPPERS


2 large green peppers, halved lengthwise, 6 ounces each
1 pound ground beef
1/4 cup onion, chopped, 1 1/4 ounces
1 clove garlic, minced
1/2 cup tomato, chopped, about 2 ounces
Salt and pepper, to taste
4 ounces cheddar cheese, shredded (pre-shredded not recommended)
2 ounces cheddar cheese, shredded, for topping

In a large pot, bring about half potful of water to boil. Add the peppers and boil for 3 minutes. Drain. In same pot, brown the hamburger, onion and garlic. Drain fat and stir in tomatoes and seasonings. Cook until tomatoes are hot; remove from heat and stir in the 4 ounces cheese. Put the pepper halves in a greased 8x8" baking pan and fill with meat mixture. Sprinkle the extra cheese on top, if using. Bake at 350º for 20-25 minutes.

Makes 4 servings

Per Serving: 388 Calories; 27g Fat; 30g Protein; 6g Carbohydrate; 2g Dietary Fiber; 4g Net Carbs

No comments:

Post a Comment