Friday, November 1, 2013

Day of the Dead..and World Vegan Day!

"Sometimes a part of us must die before another part can come to life. Even though this is a natural and necessary part of our growth, it is often painful or, if we don’t realize what’s happening, confusing and disorienting. In fact, confusion and disorientation are often the messengers that tell us a shift is taking place within us. These shifts happen throughout the lives of all humans, as we move from infancy to childhood to adolescence and beyond. With each transition from one phase to another, we find ourselves saying good-bye to an old friend, the identity that we formed in order to move through that particular time....We can surrender to this process, letting go of our past self with great love and gratitude, and welcoming the new with an open mind and heart, ready for our next phase of life." ~ Daily Om

Today is Día de Muertos, Day of the Dead. I thought today's Daily Om was appropriate, especially since I've been doing some deep soul searching of my own the past couple of weeks.  Before leaving on vacation, I began reading a self-help book called The Emotional Eaters Repair Manual by Julie M. Simon. I haven't finished the book but let me tell you, just the first few chapters really stirred things up for me and made me think about exactly why I'm overweight.  Not just the surface reasons such as I eat too much and don't exercise enough, but the deeper issues, the emotional stuff that causes me to eat when I'm not hungry, to use food as a comfort and dare I say, a drug.  I talked to my friend Marion about this, not knowing how much to share on my blog, and I've decided to keep most of it private.  I'm just not comfortable baring my soul to the public, nor do I want to risk hurt feelings for anyone else "involved." I'm not even sure I'm going to stop with just the book and the exercises, have even thought about attending an OA meeting.  At this point I just know that I've got to fix the inside, heal the parts that need healing, and learn to deal with my emotions and not just shove them down with food.  I need to shed that old self, that past self, and hopefully along with her will come the excess weight I'm carrying around.

So, on to lighter things..Happy World Vegan Day!


I plan to spend the day cooking something healthy and taking a good long walk with Loki. How about you?

Have a beauty-full day,

Michele~

2 comments:

  1. Good for you! I agree until we deal with the roots cause nothing will work. Meeting sound like a great way to get support. Sending strength and lots of good mojo <3

    ReplyDelete