Friday, December 2, 2011

Bye, Bye, Dough Boy!

 
After an e-mail conversation with a good friend who's recently lost, and kept off, 20+ pounds, I've decided to make a couple of changes in my diet. The aforementioned friend accomplished her weight loss goal by cutting out all "white stuff," eating lean protein & veggies instead.  I know this works, because I've done it before.  This was, in fact, how I lost 20 pounds back in 2004.  Back then, though, I had gone back to eating meat and was living on protein shakes & chicken caesar salads.  My motto then: Bread is the Devil, as evidenced by the pic Kali made for me above.  I've also experimented with South Beach which is much healthier than other "low-carb" diets, in my opinion.  After doing a bunch of research yesterday, I came to the conclusion that I can eat a version of "low-carb" while still avoiding meat.  I can also still work this into my WW program if I desire to do so.  I haven't worked out the details yet but I do know that "white stuff" will be eliminated from my daily eating plan.

I started yesterday by tossing out (oh, how it kills me to throw away food!) all of the open bags of starchy food in my pantry.  (I will donate the sealed bags to the food bank) Goodbye, Pirates Booty. So long, Bagel Thins.  Adios, Guiltless Gourmet tortilla chips! I then hit the supermarket to find some worthy replacements.  An hour later my cart was loaded up with string cheese, low-carb, high fiber tortillas, Greek yogurt, Laughing Cow cheese, meat substitutes, and tons of vegetables. 

Here's what my first day sans "dry carbs" looked like:

Breakfast: 2 servings Egg Beaters, 1 veggie sausage patty, sliced tomato; 2 cups of coffee w/Half & Half


Snack: Greek yogurt w/frozen (sugar-free) mixed fruit
 










 Lunch: Veggie chik patty w/light feta cheese, olives & veggie Wrap








Snack: Apple w/Walden Farms Peanut Spread, herbal tea

 







Dinner: Spaghetti Squash baked with part-skim mozzarella & low-fat pasta sauce, salad (sorry no pic, forgot to grab my camera!)

Snack: Glass of chardonnay, 1 oz of almonds

And here's the end result, WW-wise:



Wow! I actually had 1 PointsPlus left over, I can't remember the last time that happened! I was shocked to discover that after only one day of eating this way, my cravings were gone! Seriously, I was not stuffed but satisfied.   When I served Beren his meal of baked ziti and garlic bread, I wasn't the least bit tempted to take a bite.  What the heck? Seriously, I'm stunned. I can only hope that today goes as smoothy and that the numbers on the scale start moving in the right direction.

How's everyone else doing? Are you staying strong or (like me) have succumbed to the holiday temptations? Let's support each other!


Have a Beauty-Full Day,




1 comment:

  1. I had Papa Johns for dinner tonight. This really should stop. :) I blame it on finals week.

    ReplyDelete